I used to confuse the word indelible with the word inedible. So when I’d see a permanent marker with “Indelible Ink” printed on it, I’d think, “No $#@!, Sherlock! Who would want to eat a Sharpie anyway?”
Now I’m slightly smarter…well, enough smarter to know that inedible and indelible are completely different things. Indelible means to make a lasting mark—it means that something will not be forgotten or removed.
I like that.
I want to coach and develop indelible athletes.
I want to produce indelible writing.
I want to make an indelible impact on my communities.
I want to be indelible.
The participant shows up most of the time and, more often than not, jumps into the wagon to go for the ride.
The competitor is the one who pulls the wagon and makes everyone around them better. The competitor is the very definition of indelible. The competitor is never satisfied with their current efforts and performances. A competitor does the things the participator refuses to do.
What does a competitor do? Well, in high school sports, in my opinion, the competitor is the athlete who puts in the extra offseason work to improve at least 4 or 5 days a week.
- Baseball – 50 throws & catches, 50 swings, 50 ground balls/pop-ups.
- Football – Explosive power development, 25 starts and footwork reps, routes, and throws.
- Basketball – 250+ shots a day, ball-handling skills, explosive power development.
- Tennis, golf, volleyball, etc. – All need skills reps
I am a firm believer in playing multiple sports and being involved in multiple activities, hobbies, etc. But, the work and the commitment to all these activities requires a monumental effort. The key is to, as the wonderful Mrs. Hays often says about life and work and parenting, “Be present.” Pay attention to the needs of the situation staring you in the face. Focus 100% on the task at hand and not 60% with the other 40% worrying about the next activity on you agenda.
Be Present = Go All In
Whatever you do in life, go all in. Jump into the fray feet first with a fully-focused effort. Don’t straddle the border with one foot in and one foot out. Hit the accelerator and give your drive and desire full throttle to make your world a better place.
That is the very meaning of indelible.
Go all in.
Compete, don’t just participate.
Leave a lasting mark.